Our expert teachers and staff work very hard to ensure that when you come to SFX you gain a well-rounded experience not just inside but also outside the classroom. We organise activities which will complement your main programme of study along with those which offer you time to enjoy and interact with other students beyond your class or tutor group. These include debating societies, poetry and reading groups and fundraising events for charity.
With all our courses we aim to enhance the content by organising speakers as well as trips both here and abroad. Recent activities have included:
• A drama department visit to the Royal Shakespeare Theatre in Stratford-upon-Avon to see the Royal Shakespeare Company’s production of Hamlet.
• Chemistry students taking part in the Royal Society of Chemistry competition for students at Kingston University.
• The SFX Languages Festival – Our Modern Foreign Languages department transformed the canteen into a celebration of culture. With performances, dance classes and Paella, it was one of our year’s highlights.
• The Prospective Healthcare Professionals Programme organised a visit for Biology and Chemistry students to a Medical Ethics Workshop run by the Royal College of Pathologists at the Hunterian Musuem.
• Nine of our students joined over 200 of their peers at the three day Model United Nations Conference in Birmingham.
There are a number of competitive team sports organised through the College. The football and basketball clubs have an outstanding record, regularly winning league awards, and the girls’ football and netball teams are thriving. The PE Department is keen to accommodate anyone who wishes to participate in the sports offered and will offer support to those who wish to broaden the college repertoire of individual or team sports. Good levels of health and fitness are promoted within the college community. The College has a fitness suite, equipped to industry standard, which boasts a range of cardio-vascular machines, resistance equipment and free weights. The fitness suite is fully supervised, giving students the opportunity to develop personal fitness under the guidance of a fitness professional.
The College is proud of our Young Enterprise teams who for three years in a row have been the Central London Champions. This provides a real and genuine opportunity for all students to set up their own business and run it for a year. Students get the opportunity to present their ideas at competitions in prestigious locations.